Research and Development Chemist
Orono, ME 04473 | DirectHire
As a member of a product development team designing products based on innovative materials the R&D Chemist performs all types of analysis and tests in connection with developing ceramic membranes for use in liquid filtration. This includes sol gel chemistry, DNA handling and characterization, dip coating, and lab scale testing of filters.
Please email kgagnon@springbornstaffing.Com to apply:
- Follow standard operating procedures to produce dip coating solutions using wet chemistry techniques in a chemistry lab setting including cleaning glassware.
- Follow standard operating procedures to deposit/coat ceramic membranes / thin films in a basic cleanroom setting (cleanroom suit not required).
- Follow standard operating procedures to produce dip coating solutions using wet chemistry techniques in a chemistry lab setting.
- Ongoing, self-guided research to gain knowledge in sol-gel chemistry, membrane deposition techniques, cleanroom best practices and membrane characterization.
- Laboratory organization & maintaining sample inventory.
- Operate specialized testing and analytical equipment including: HPLC, and gas permeance systems
- Assists project scientist and engineers by performing assigned phases of project completion.
- Records results of tests and assignments and reports results to senior professional or group leader.
- Learns and develops to become able to interpret test results and determine their technical significance.
- Determine, verify, and implement the appropriate analysis method and technique.
- Identify method and procedures for investigation of analytical discrepancies.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Candidate has the potential to take on new projects as they develop based on interest and skills.
- Work with R&D Director to outline tasks needed to meet milestones and complete project goals
- Assists R&D Director by performing assigned phases of project development until completion
- Performs tests and experiments and reports results to R&D Director
- Researches and designs experiments on assigned projects in support of product development effort
- Develops and maintains QC methods for product quality checks
- Work with R&D Director on process focused research, dip coating and process scale up projects
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Solid foundation and knowledge of chemistry and materials science
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Ability to work independently in a cross functional team
Good organizational skills
Good working knowledge of MS Office & Windows OS
Interest/ability to work in a start-up, requiring multiple roles and flexibility to adjust to needs of the organization and/or markets
Required Education and Experience
- BS/MS. In Chemistry
- Laboratory experience including safe material and instrumentation handling skills
- Good laboratory notebook practice
Desired Education and Experience
- Experience in ceramics chemistry, sol gel chemistry a plus
- Training in statistical design for product development
- Experience with operating analytical instrumentation
- Experience with database entry and management